Chinese dictionary
- 1
adv.(used to indicate contrast to what is usually true) but instead
你该说的不说,不该说的倒是说个没完。
You don't say what you should say, but say what you shouldn't say.
这个结果倒是出人意料。
The result was unexpected.
他倒是有点高兴他没有赢。
He is kind of glad he didn’t win.
synonym
- 2
adv.contrary to the fact, implying blame
说的倒是容易,你来试试!
Though it's easy to say, would you try to do it yourself?
她说的话倒是不错,可就是不兑现。
She promised a lot but did nothing.
你倒是告诉我们真相呀。
You should tell us the truth.
- 3
adv.indicate unexpectedness; used for something unexpected
你还有什么理由,我倒是想听一下。
What other excuse have you got? I'd like to hear it.
我倒是更爱喝茶。
I’d really prefer tea.
在英国工业界,学位倒是个累赘。
A degree is more of a hindrance than a help in British industry.
- 4
adv.indicate concession
她的伤不重,这倒是值得庆幸。
She wasn't badly hurt. That's something to be thankful for.
我倒是希望我们可以提供出色的服务。
I’d like to think that we offer an excellent service.
这个名字倒是响当当的。
It's rather a striking name.
- 5
adv.indicate a transition
屋子不大,布置得倒是挺讲究。
Though the room may not be very big, it is beautifully decorated.
房子虽小,倒是很漂亮。
Although the house is small, it is very beautiful.
我倒是想走,但是我没有其他地方可去。
I’d like to go, but I have nowhere else to go.
synonym
- 6
adv.indicate a polite offer
如果人手不够,我倒是愿意来帮忙。
If there really are not enough people, then I would like to go and help.
如果你愿意,我倒是可以帮忙。
If you like, I'm willing to help.
- 7
adv.indicate eagerness to know; used to press or question somebody
你倒是去没去过,别吞吞吐吐的。
So did you go there or not? Don't mince your words.
你明天倒是去不去呀?
Are you going tomorrow or not?
synonym