Chinese dictionary
- 1
v.ventilate; aerate; let air in or through; let in air
门窗关着,房间不透气。
Keeping its door and windows closed makes the room stuffy.
我有些头晕,开窗透气好吗?
I'm a bit dizzy. Shall we open the windows and let in some fresh air?
他伤风感冒很厉害,鼻子不透气。
He had a bad cold and her nose was all bunged up.
- 2
v.breathe freely; breathe fresh air
我们午餐时出去透气。
We'll get a breath of fresh air at lunchtime.
synonym
- 3
v.inform; tip off; drop a hint; leak (or disclose) information
上下级不透气,工作很难开展。
The work is hard to be done because of lack of communications between the leaders and the led.
我得把这件事向家人透气。
I need to let my family know about this.
一等他回来,就赶紧给我透气。
Let me know as soon as he gets back.
synonym
Word usage
- Separable word"透" and "气" can be combined as one word, or be used separately with other elements inserted.
我打开窗户透了一会儿气。
I opened the window to let some air in.
我想去外面透口气。
I want to go outside to breathe freely.
我把这件事先向他透一点儿气儿。
I will give him a hint in advance.
- Reduplication"透气" can be reduplicated, for example: "透透气".
屋里憋得慌,到外面去透透气。
The air being oppressive and stuffy, let's go outdoors for a breath of fresh air.