v.come/get/go down; come from a higher place
Please come down off the roof.
Come down at once! The ladder isn't steady.
He was coming downhill.
v.(of leaders) come down (to a lower level government office)
A new task has fallen on us.
An inspection group came down from the central government.
Yesterday two employees from the provincial office came down.
v.(of fruit or crops) get ripe; be in season; be brought to the market; be harvested
The corn cannot be harvested for a while yet.
The wheat has been harvested.
v.(of a period of time) be over; come to an end
After one year's work, his skills have improved a lot.
After a year's study, she completed eight courses.
At the end of the first day, she was exhausted.
v.(used after a verb to indicate a movement from a higher position to a lower position or from far to near)
Pick all the apples off the trees.
Water flows down the upper section of the river.
v.(used after a verb to indicate a continuation from the past to the present or from the beginning to the end)
mythology passed down from antiquity
All those attending the part-time training persisted to the end.
v.(used after a verb to indicate the completion or result of an action)
Make a record of what happened.
The car stopped gradually.
The wind dropped all of a sudden.
v.(used after an adjective to indicate decrease of intensity)
His voice trailed off.
- Note"下来" is different from "下去". The form "adj. + 下来" specifically means "begin to appear", and the form "adj. + 下去" means "continue".
- Separable word"下" and "来" can be combined as one word, or be used separately with other elements inserted.
He has something to do upstairs. He can't come down.
You just hurt your leg. Can you get down the stairs?
Hot words today
- 帽headgear; cap-like cover for something
- 关注follow with interest; follow a blog
- 报纸newspaper; newsprint
- 的used to indicate a modifying and modified relationship
- 我self; one
- 冰淇淋ice cream
- 不not; used to reply in the negative
- 水water; a general term for rivers, lakes, seas, etc.
- 应付handle; do something perfunctorily
- 喜欢like; happy