v.borrow (things or money)
Could you lend me your pen?
These things are borrowed.
One must return borrowed items.
Please lend me a few yuan.
Lend him the book so he can have a look at it.
The book you wanted is out.
v.make use of; take advantage of (an opportunity, etc.)
have the aid of
read under a lamp
v.make a pretext of; on the pretext of; use as a pretext
find an excuse
use as a pretext
He used "aid" as a pretext for plunder.
Words and phrases with 借
- 借助[word]have the help of
- 借重[word]seek assistance
- 借单[word]same as 借据
- 借条[word]receipt for a loan
- 借据[word]certificate of indebtedness
- 借壳上市[word]go public through borrowing a shell
- 借势[word]take advantage of someone else's power
- 借刀杀人[idiom]kill somebody by another's hand
- 借花献佛[idiom]borrow a flower to present to the Buddha
- 借古讽今[idiom]use ancient history to slander modern times
- 借酒浇愁[idiom]dispel melancholy by drinks
- 借古喻今[idiom]narrate anecdotes of the past in alluding to the present
- 借尸还魂[idiom]find reincarnation in another's corpse
- 借题发挥[idiom]seize on an incident to exaggerate matters
- 借箸代筹[idiom]make a plan for somebody else
- 借贷无门[idiom]have nowhere to borrow money