v.speak; say; talk; express oneself by words
He can speak English.
Please speak more slowly.
He was spoken of as a good teacher.
Since I can't sing, I just told a joke.
He explained for a long time, but I still couldn't understand.
You must make it clear today.
The book explains it very clearly.
explain the reason
n.theory; doctrine; teachings
strange and false doctrine
The father gave his child a scolding for his wrong doing.
criticize him for being miserly
I don't want to scold him.
He was scolded.
v.indicate; mean; refer to
Who did your remarks refer to?
v.act as a matchmaker
find a wife
Words and phrases with 说
- 说开[word]explain clearly; become popular
- 说服教育[word]persuade and educate
- 说起来[word]as a matter of fact
- 说好[word]come to/reach an agreement/understanding
- 说到[word]as to
- 说不得[word]can’t be said; not bear repeating
- 说起[word]as for
- 说梦话[word]talk or speak in one's sleep; put forward impractical ideas
- 说来话长[idiom]dwell on it at greater length
- 说风凉话[idiom]make cool, sly criticisms
- 说说笑笑[idiom]have a pleasant talk together
- 说一不二[idiom]mean what one says
- 说到做到[idiom]suit the action to the word
- 说不过去[idiom]be unable to be justified
- 说来说去[idiom]after all is said and done
- Note"说" is usually pronounced as "shuō"; when pronounced as "shuì", it is used to persuade others to follow one's own opinions, such as "游说" or "说客".