n.high place; higher position
Don't look up.
He sleeps in my upper bunk.
Your upper lip is swollen.
He had a rough time the first half of the year.
In the last century, the county was very poor.
In the last half term, he only came to school for two months.
v.go up; mount; board
go aboard a ship
climb up a mountain
go up a slope
n.high grade or high quality
I will report the situation to the higher organization.
This word was used in the old days to address one's superiors.
Where are you going?
I'm going to the WC.
He went to the factory to work.
v.be engaged (in work, study, etc.)
I'm on the night shift today.
Her daughter is now in college.
go to work
v.appear on the stage; enter
You play this half.
Let workers to step up to the podium.
He is playing in this game.
v.apply; paint; smear
The workers are oiling the machine.
She is applying ointment for her daughter.
He is painting the door.
v.forge ahead; go ahead
grasp the bull by the horn
v.up to; as many as; reach
up to a hundred people
get on in age
as many as ten thousands
v.submit; send in
submit a written request to a higher authority
v.be carried on (newspaper, TV, etc.)
appear on the honour roll
be printed in a newspaper
make an entry in the account book
v.place something in position; set
fix the window pane
set the roof beams in place
v.wind; screw; tighten
replenish the stock of goods
v.(used after a verb to indicate that the action has begun and is continuing)
fall in love with the countryside
The two of them are having a good chat.
v.(used after a verb to indicate that the goal of the action has been attained)
lock the door
She's become an accountant.
have bought TV
Words and phrases with 上
- 上岗[word]go on guard; go to one's post
- 上官[word]a surname; high official
- 上表[word]wind a clock; submit a memorial to the emperor
- 上层[word]upper deck
- 上课[word]attend a class; conduct a class
- 上任[word]take up an official post; predecessor
- 上上下下[idiom]everybody; from top to bottom
- 上下打量[idiom]look somebody over from head to foot
- 上行下效[idiom]subordinates follow the example of their superiors
- 上吐下泻[idiom]throw up on top and purge down below
- 上天入地[idiom]try every means to seek
- 上窜下跳[idiom]run clandestine errands up and down the line
- 上当受骗[idiom]be duped and misled in
- 上下一心[idiom]People at all levels are of one mind.
Chinese Characters with pinyin shàng
- 尚esteem; set great store by