num.eight; a numeral that is the result of seven plus one; 8
The weight of this fish is eight kilos.
There are eight classes.
There are eight people in his family.
You're the eighth person to come in.
In this race, he was the eighth.
This is the eighth pencil he has bought.
Words and phrases with 八
- 八方[word]the eight points of the compass
- 八月[word]August; the eighth month of the lunar year
- 八音[word]musical sound produced by ancient instruments of eight different materials; the sound produced by all kinds of instruments
- 八宝[word]eight treasures; eight auspicious symbols of Buddhism: the parasol, two golden fish, conch shell, lotus blossom, banner of victory, vase, Dharma Wheel, eternal knot
- 八卦[word]a set of symbolic signs created by ancient Chinese; absurd
- 八法[word]eight therapeutic methods
- 八节[word]eight solar terms (usually including the Beginning of Spring, Spring Equinox, Beginning of Summer, Summer Solstice, Beginning of Autumn, Autumn Equinox, Beginning of Winter, and Winter Solstice
- 八股文[word]eight-part essay
- 八拜之交[idiom]sworn brotherhood/sisterhood
- 八面威风[idiom]be arrogantly impressive in bearing
- 八面玲珑[idiom]description of large, bright windows
- 八斗之才[idiom]a man of great talent
- 八仙过海[idiom]Each displays one's own talents or skills to outwit others.
- 八方呼应[idiom]cooperation from all parties/sides
- 八抬大轿[idiom]eight-bearer sedan
- Note"八" is written as "捌" on cheques, banknotes, etc to avoid mistakes or alterations.