v.fmlbe seated; take a seat
She asked me to be seated.
Do not sit all day.
He suddenly sat up straight.
v.take; travel by or on (any conveyance except those which one straddles)
I decided to travel by train.
I often take a bus to work.
Will you go there by train or by plane?
v.fmlbe punished; convict; sentence
be sentenced to death
be implicated in crime
be punished for unfounded accusation against another
prep.fmlbecause; for the reason that
He is removed from office because of this.
v.have the back towards; (of a building) have its back towards
This house faces south.
The palace faces south.
v.put (a pan, kettle, etc.) on a fire
put a kettle on a fire
Place the pot on the stove.
The fire is ablaze. Put the pan on it.
v.have a disease; suffer from a disease
v.bear (fruit); form (seed)
v.(of a building) sink; (of rifles, guns, etc.) recoil
The wall is beginning to slope backwards.
The tower sank more than half a foot.
Rifles have a lot of punch.
adv.without cause or reason; naturally
The lone fleabane soars by itself; the agitated sand flies of its own accord.
Words and phrases with 坐
- 坐失[word]give away
- 坐庄[word]be a resident buyer of a business firm; be the banker or dealer
- 坐便器[word]flush/flushing toilet
- 坐视不理[word]sit tight and look on
- 坐台[word]sit at the front desk; work at the front desk of bars, night clubs or karaoke clubs, sometimes as a prostitute
- 坐班[word]keep office hours
- 坐冷板凳[idiom]sit on a cold bench
- 坐以待毙[idiom]await one's doom
- 坐怀不乱[idiom]be not disturbed with a woman in one's lap
- 坐失良机[idiom]let slip a golden opportunity
- 坐卧不安[idiom]be unable to sit down or sleep at ease
- 坐享其成[idiom]enjoy the fruits of others without having toiled
- 坐而论道[idiom]sit back and pontificate
- 坐吃山空[idiom]if left to sit idle, one can even consume a mountain