v.open; switch on
The door opened.
Turn on the light.
What time does the library open?
keep one's mouth shut
v.open out; come loose
Chrysanthemums put forth flowers in autumn.
push the door open
The flowers all bloomed.
The shoe lace came undone.
begin a new school year; school begins
start a machine
Boil the water.
The milk is boiling.
Water boils when it reaches 100 degrees.
v.infmlopen up; reclaim
The field has developed paddy fields this year.
Rats have burrowed in the field.
A door was made in the wall.
dig a well
v.infmlset up; run; start
run a teahouse
A new theatre has been opened.
open a hospital
open a shop
v.infmlhold (a meeting, an exhibition, etc.)
The general convention will be held in May.
The exhibition opened for a month.
The meeting was a great success.
hold a meeting
v.dialbe fired from one's job; fire (an employee)
In the past, the capitalists could sack us workers any time they wanted.
The employee was fired.
The company has a large number of employees.
v.lift (a ban, restriction, etc.)
break vegetarian fast
break an abstinence
resume a meat diet
v.infml(of machines, vehicles, etc.) drive; operate
When does the train start?
The school bus is about to start.
The bus drove past the stop.
sail a ship
v.infml(of troops, etc.) set out
The detachment set off.
Two regiments arrived yesterday.
They are moving to the front.
v.infmlwrite out; make a list of
write a receipt
write a cheque
make a list of names
Make out a list of the books you need.
v.infmlpay (wages, fares, etc.)
pay a salary
v.infml(used to express a ratio between two things considered as parts of a whole which is 10) divide into
a seventy-thirty ratio
measure wordinfmldivision of standard size printing paper
The flu spread quickly.
The song has become very popular.
This method has become popular.
v.infml(indicating the beginning and continuation of an action)
begin to sing
He began to shiver with fear.
The weather has got colder.
As soon as the music began, we started to dance.
This bed is large enough for three children.
It's a large area so there's room for everyone to sleep.
The room is big enough to hold two beds.
The room is not big enough to seat all of us.
Absolute purity is taken as 24 carats.
Carat is the unit of measurement of the purity of gold.
14-carat gold pen nib
v.(of a frozen river) thaw out
go by ferry when the river has unfrozen
Words and phrases with 开
- 开发区[word]development area/zone
- 开门[word]open the door; do something in an open-door way
- 开庭[word]call the court to order
- 开幕[word]curtain rises; begin
- 开花[word]blossom; explode
- 开设[word]open; offer
- 开业[word]start business; open a private practice
- 开门见山[idiom]come straight to the point
- 开怀畅饮[idiom]carouse to one's heart's content
- 开国元勋[idiom]a founding father of a country
- 开宗明义[idiom]make clear the purpose and theme from the very beginning
- 开天辟地[idiom]a Chinese mythology, the world came into being after Pan Gu separated earth from heaven; dawn of history
- 开诚布公[idiom]be frank and sincere
- 开花结果[idiom]yield positive results; bloom and bear fruit
- 开足马力[idiom]go full steam ahead
- NoteWhen used after a verb to indicate separation or departure, "开" can be read in the neutral tone.
Chinese Characters with pinyin kāi