Give me half a dozen beers.
I have studied Chinese for half a year.
Please walk half a mile down the road.
num.halfway; in the middle of
The car broke down halfway.
His lives halfway up the mountain.
Halfway down the cigarette she had a fit of coughing.
adv.partly; about half; partially
He ate partly full.
The door was left half open.
Her eyes were half closed.
num.metavery little; the least bit
He didn't say a thing.
I haven't got a penny on me today.
Words and phrases with 半
- 半年[word]half a year
- 半条命[word]someone who is seriously ill and very weak
- 半价[word]half price
- 半辈子[word]half a lifetime
- 半途而废[idiom]give up halfway
- 半死不活[idiom]half-dead; low-spirited
- 半工半读[idiom]work-study programme
- 半斤八两[idiom]six of one and half a dozen of the other
- 半真半假[idiom]half-genuine and half-sham; half in jest, half in earnest
- 半壁江山[idiom]half of the country
- 半生不熟[idiom]half cooked/done; half-competent
- 半夜三更[idiom]late at night; #$